The events of this past Saturday sparked a frothing rage out of Leftists in the wake of the new CEO of Twitter Elon Musk officially reinstating the Twitter account of former President Donald Trump despite claims from Trump himself that he will not be moving back to or using the platform ever again.
This recent announcement from Musk takes place in the wake of almost 15 million people issuing their vote for a non-scientific poll that he hosted on his own Twitter account asking the public if Trump should finally be reinstated to the platform.
The finalized results of the poll highlighted that 51.8% stated “yes,” while 48.2% stated “no.”
Reinstate former President Trump
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 19, 2022
“The people have spoken,” stated Musk in response to the poll. “Trump will be reinstated.”
These event spawned quite a few notable responses from the Left, including:
- Eric Weinstein: “This is such BS. I’m sorry. But you lost me here. Are all major decisions going to be Twitter polls? Ever faced ‘the voice of the people’ as a mob? Is a mob god? C’mon. You wanted to reinstate him. So you did. Simple.”
- NAACP: “In Elon Musk’s Twittersphere, you can incite an insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, which led to the deaths of multiple people, and still be allowed to spew hate speech and violent conspiracies on his platform. Any advertiser still funding Twitter should immediately pause all advertising. If Elon Musk continues to run Twitter like this, using garbage polls that do not represent the American people and the needs of our democracy, God help us all.”
- Scott Dworkin: “. @realDonaldTrump belongs in prison not on Twitter. This is bulls***.”
- S.V. Date, HuffPost: “1) Trump was banished from Twitter not because of cancel culture, but because he attempted a coup using Twitter as a tool and THEN CONTINUED RILING UP HIS MOB EVEN AFTER IT FAILED. 2) Getting back on Twitter will remind many people what a dangerous, unhinged president he was.”
- Jonathan Greenblatt, ADL: “For @elonmusk to allow Donald Trump back on Twitter, ostensibly after a brief poll, shows he is not remotely serious about safeguarding the platform from hate, harassment and misinformation. As we’ve said before, Trump used Twitter to foment intolerance, issue threats and incite a violent attack against the US government. Moreover, he has shown no indication that he would do anything different if given the opportunity. When @ADL and other #StopHateforProfit leaders met with Elon Musk on 11/1, he committed to not replatform anyone, regardless of stature, until he installed a transparent, clear process that took into consideration the views of civil society. . @elonmusk ‘s decisions over the last month have been erratic and alarming, but this decision is dangerous and a threat to American democracy. We need to ask — is it time for Twitter to go?”
- Frank Figliuzzi, MSNBC: “The Russian bots have spoken.”
Once the news first went public that Musk was planning to try and but twitter and take is private back in April, Trump issued a response by stating that he would not be going back to the platform.
“I hope Elon buys Twitter because he’ll make improvements to it and he is a good man, but I am going to be staying on Truth,” stated Trump. “The bottom line is, no, I am not going back to Twitter.”
Just a this past month, Trump stated that Twitter would never be “successful without” him and that he would not at any point go back to the platform.
“I am staying on Truth. I like it better, I like the way it works, I like Elon, but I’m staying on Truth,” expressed Trump last month. “If I choose to run, I will only use Truth.”